With winter sticking around for a few more weeks than expected (or desired) I've been consuming a lot of porridge in the mornings. It's the perfect thing to keep you warm and full throughout the beginning of the day. Over Easter weekend I stayed with my parents in the beautiful Cambridgeshire area. We went on long walks with the dog, chatted with the locals in the nearby pub and cooked up the usual storm.
I'm the first one to admit that I totally take advantage of being at home with my parents. What can I say? My mum LIVES for making me cups of tea all day. That's what she tells me anyways. One morning she offered to make me her turmeric porridge, she and my dad are a bit obsessed with turmeric and put it in everything they eat, so this new recipe didn't come as a surprise to me. Once I tried it I knew it was something that I had to share with all of you. It's such a simple recipe and one that you can change to your liking. We used coconut milk in the image to the left but I've been told that if you use coconut milk, it makes it super creamy!
Turmeric has so many amazing qualities, once you know about them, you'll be just like my folks adding it to everything! Here are a few of the top benefits to having turmeric in your daily diet;
- Reduces Depression Symptoms
- Boosts Skin Health
- A Natural Cancer Preventer
- Helps Detoxify the body
- 1 cup of regular (not jumbo) organic rolled porridge oats
- 1 cup of almond milk (or any milk of your choice!)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp of ground tumeric
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1-2 inches of fresh ginger grated
- Fruit of your choice
- Dairy free plain yogurt
- agave or honey (optional)
- half a banana sliced
- Bring the water and milk to a boil in a medium size saucepan
- Then add the oats to the boiling liquid and keep stirring until it becomes a thick mixture
- Next turn the heat off and add the turmeric, ginger and cinnamon and stir together. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- While you're waiting, place your berries in the bottom of your bowls.
- Add the porridge and top with the yogurt, honey and banana slices. Feel free to add whatever you like, nuts and seeds are always a good addition!